Tallaght University Hospital is one of Ireland’s largest acute teaching hospitals, providing child-health, adult, psychiatric and age-related healthcare on one site. With 562 beds, 12 theatres and 14 Critical Care beds in operation, the hospital treats over 410,000 patients per year and employs almost 3,000 staff. The Hospital provides access for patients to over 20 medical and surgical specialties, with comprehensive on-site Laboratory and Radiology support services. It is also a national urology centre, the second largest provider of dialysis services in the country and a regional orthopaedic trauma centre.
Tallaght University Hospital is one of two main teaching hospitals of Trinity College Dublin - specialising in the training and professional development of staff in areas such as nursing, health and social care professionals, emergency medicine and surgery, amongst many others.
Tallaght University Hospital is a Voluntary Hospital underpinned by the legal status of a Chartered Corporation established under Statutory Instrument, providing adult and paediatric services to a catchment population of approximately 450,000 people (80% of which are located in South Dublin and parts of Kildare), and serves approximately 200 General Practitioners. Mental Health services operate on-site under HSE governance structures, with close operational alignment to the adult services provided by Tallaght Hospital.
The Trinity Health Ireland (THI) collaborative agreement underpins Tallaght University Hospital’s valued relationships with Trinity College Dublin (TCD), St. James's Hospital, and the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital. Uniquely, Tallaght University Hospital operates within two Hospital Group Structures — the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group (DMHG) and the Children’s Hospital Group (CHG) — and within Dublin South Central Primary Care Community Health Organisation (CHO) Area Seven. Tallaght University Hospital has long-standing strategic and operational alliances with Naas General Hospital and Peamount Healthcare,
among other healthcare providers within the region.
The Tallaght University Hospital Campus is 31 acres in size, with significant future development capacity, annual gross expenditure is in excess of €0.25bn.
The Hospital opened on June 21st 1998 through the amalgamation of three independent voluntary hospitals: the Adelaide, the Meath and the National Children’s Hospital (NCH). Founded in 1839, the Adelaide Hospital was famous for its nursing school; the Meath Hospital, the oldest voluntary hospital and the oldest university teaching hospital in the country, was founded in 1753; and the NCH, the first dedicated children’s hospital in Ireland and Britain, was founded in 1821. The Adelaide, the Meath and the NCH have a long and proud history of providing specialist services to patients in Dublin. Many of the Hospital’s core strengths today originated from national and regional specialist services developed in these base hospitals, including; Urology, Orthopaedics, Nephrology and General Paediatric services.